Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Preserving the Past

This morning at 6, I jumped out of bed, dug in my purse for two quarters, jammed my feet into some slippers, grabbed my glasses and keys, and headed out the door. Where was I going in such a hurry, you ask? The nearest newspaper stand, of course! I just couldn't wait to read the article in the Telegraph about our school history project.

I wasn't disappointed. "Preserving the Past" was the front page headline. What a perfect title! I hadn't really thought of it that way before, and when you think about it, that's exactly what our students are doing. My goal was to get students to use higher level reading, writing, and thinking skills and compare school life today with school life in the past. Now I realize we're doing much more, and I'm very proud of the HAL students for taking on this challenge.

I want to express my sincerest gratitude fo Jim Whitaker, Dr. William Hasemeyer, Marion Effenbeck, Donna Effenbeck, and Eva Swedberg for talking with the students on Tuesday. Your stories were very entertaining. The students couldn't stop talking about them on the bus ride back to their schools. They especially liked the "spit wad" story! That tale is worth the price of the book alone!

My thanks also to John Lindenberger and Beth Gilbert for their coverage. I have received two phone calls already from people who had read the story and wanted to share some other wonderful memories with the students. I appreciate your dedication to our students.

If you would like to read the article, click on the link below:
http://www.nptelegraph.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19423431&BRD=377&PAG=461&dept_id=601696&rfi=6

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I enjoyed this activity as much as my son. This is one time where being an older parent was an asset!
He has an 88 year old grandma and a 92 year old grandma and they both taught school!