Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Hal-lo! This is my first post as HAL Director. HAL stands for High Ability Learner and my job is to promote awareness and provide services for these kinds of students. The goals for the first year are identification, parent and community involvement, student programming, professional development, and social/emotional support.

It's not easy starting a program from scratch, but so far I have enjoyed the challenge! One of the first things I was asked to do was to present an overview of the program to the entire NPPS staff on their first day back. What an experience! I was nervous, but I made it through without passing out or falling down!

"On the Road Again" has become my theme song. I don't know how many miles I've put on my Mazda since school started. I've been to staff meetings, board meetings, and PTA meetings. I was even invited to a Rotary meeting. I travel to all ten schools each week to deliver differentiated lessons to 4th and 5th graders. (A girl told me today that she likes it when I come because it's always fun!)

Around 3 o'clock each day, I make it back to my office. I use this time for phone calls and to plan enrichment activities for K-3 grades. I'm so excited about the events that have been lined up so far. For example, the Wichita Children's theater is presenting a workshop at Hall School on October 2. Jefferson School will be having a student writing workshop with Nebraska author N.L. Sharp on November 16. We've also scheduled a parent/teacher workshop with teacher and author Nathan Levy. He is an expert in the field of gifted education, and he will be in North Platte on October 15th and 16th.

One of the things I'm most excited about is the district wide reading challenge, Score Big With Books. HAL has teamed up with Kids Klub for this event in which students in grades 2-5 form teams, read books, and compete against each other for the title of Best Readers in North Platte! I'm really looking forward to our Super Book Bowl on February 1!

When people ask me how I like my new job, my reply is so far...so good. I'm looking foward to other great things ahead.

No comments: